The Foreign Affairs Minister and Government Spokesperson, Dr. Richard Sezibera, has denied reports in the Ugandan media that Rwandan troops have had been amassed at her border with Uganda.

The Minister observed this during a press conference this Tuesday, where he highlighted on Rwanda-Uganda bilateral ties after 986 Rwandans were sent back from Uganda.

The border crossing at Gatuna has been closed since last week and Rwanda has advised its nationals to avoid traveling to Uganda.

Ugandan Press reported on Monday that “armed personnel” from the Rwanda Defense Force were seen in areas along the border, citing intelligence sources.

“Those who know how Gatuna looks like, they know that it is a small and closed space which intersects with construction works,” he said.

“There were no additional troops from our side. None. And even if we did, it wouldn’t be a problem since Rwanda has the right to deploy troops if the need arises, but in this case, we didn’t,” Sezibera said, denying Ugandan Press allegations.

“The bilateral relations between Rwanda and Uganda will go well. It might be problematic at the moment, but it will get better. We are neighbors and there are always some issues between neighbors, but we are discussing this and it will change for the better,” he added.

The Minister noted that the big issues at present between Rwanda and Uganda are three; Rwandans who are abducted, tortured or murdered, imprisoned in unknown locations in Uganda. The second being Uganda hosting its armed adversaries, RNC, and the third being the restriction of movement of Rwandan goods on the Ugandan Territory.

Closure of the border crossing at Gatuna has temporarily crippled the movement of goods between the two countries.Igihe

The Express News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here